Mixing Leica's traditional aesthetic with contemporary, hybrid functionality, the SL2-S is a well-rounded full-frame mirrorless camera with apt photo and video capabilities. Revolving around Leica's first BSI CMOS sensor, the 24.6MP sensor offers DCI/UHD 4K 10-bit video recording, broad sensitivity from ISO 50-100,000, and vivid image quality with low noise.
The sensor is complemented by the refined Maestro III image processor, which avails high-speed performance and versatility throughout the camera system. Full-res DNG continuous shooting at up to 25 fps is possible along with 4K video at up to 60p or Full HD at up to 180 fps. And, emphasizing the hybrid ethos, Leica has also implemented separate Photo and Video menu systems for more intuitive navigation and settings control when working in either mode.
Complementing both photo and video applications, a 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization system minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Also, the sensor's design incorporates a Leica Object Detection AF system, which uses 225 selectable AF areas for fast and accurate performance.
Beyond updated imaging, the SL2-S also features durable, weather-sealed body design that includes a 5.76m-dot EyeRes OLED EVF and a large 3.2" 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD. A top status LCD is also featured for quick recognition of shooting settings and dual UHS-II-compatible SD memory card slots offer file-saving flexibility. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work in conjunction with the Leica FOTOs app for wireless file transferring and remote camera control.
24.6MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor and Maestro III Processor
Featuring a highly versatile full-frame 24.6MP BSI CMOS sensor, the SL2-S has apt imaging capabilities for both stills and video applications. Coupled with the Maestro III image processor, fast performance is ensured along with a wide ISO 50-100,000 sensitivity range. The sensor's BSI design also promotes especially clean and smooth color and tonal rendering, along with reduced noise when working at higher ISO settings. The sensor's design also omits a low-pass filter in order to maintain the highest degree of sharpness and resolution. Additionally, beyond sheer image quality, the processing power affords quick continuous shooting, up to 25 fps with an electronic shutter or 9 fps with a mechanical shutter, and a 4GB buffer enables near limitless burst shooting of full-resolution DNG or JPEG files.
DCI/UHD 4K 10-Bit Video Recording
An immensely capable video camera, the SL2-S offers both DCI and UHD 4K recording at up to 60p using either the full-frame sensor area or an APS-C/Super 35mm crop. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording is supported for frame rates up to 30p, and 60p is available at 8-bit 4:2:0. When recording externally via the full-size HDMI port, 10-bit output is available at all frame rates for DCI and UHD 4K. Full HD recording is also supported with high-speed frame rates up to 180 fps for slow-motion playback. Additionally, there is no imposed recording limit at any resolution or frame rate, allowing for extended recording times.
Complementing the video quality, a dedicated Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) mode and L-Log gamma profile can be used to for in-camera HDR output or for expand highlight and shadow detail and greater flexibility when color grading during post-production. There are also integrated viewing LUTs for improved color control and accuracy. Additionally, benefitting audio quality, support for an external microphone and headphones are also available via dedicated 3.5mm jacks.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- The impressive EyeRes EVF is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED finder offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 120 fps refresh rate and 0.005 sec lag.
- Large 3.2" 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. This screen also uses Gorilla Glass for a highly durable design.
- Separate photo and video menu systems eliminate the need to readjust settings when switching from photo to video modes, resulting in a more intuitive workflow, especially when mixing content types in a single shoot.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a 1.28" top status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof (IP54-rated) to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Dual UHS-II-compatible SD memory card slots offer flexible image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring; tethering, with full support for Capture One 21 and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom; and high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, a full-size HDMI Type-A port benefits video applications, and 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs.
- BP-SCL4 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated for approximately 510 shots per charge.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, when used in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS app for iOS and Android, permits sharing imagery directly to a linked mobile device and also enables remote control over the camera and remote shooting via a live view image. Additionally, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a permanent connection between the mobile device and the camera, enabling remote waking of the camera and automatic connection anytime within range.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization compensates for a broad range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery.
Using sensor-shift stabilization technology, the SL2-S also features a Multishot mode to capture and compile eight separate exposure to create a single 96MP file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 12000 x 8000-pixel resolution.
Object Detection Autofocus System
For accelerated autofocus performance, a Leica Object Detection AF system quickly calculates the distance to subjects and adjusts the focusing position with sensor and lens communication occurring at rates up to 480 fps. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications through the use of a Body Detection mode. It also features 225 selectable AF areas, which provide excellent control over where the camera will focus.
||Full-Frame (1x Crop Factor)
||Effective: 24.6 Megapixel (6072 x 4056)
|Image File Format
||Auto, 50 to 100000
1/8000 to 500 Second
1/16000 to 60 Second
||Center-Weighted Average, Multi-Zone, Spot
||Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority
||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Warm White), Halogen, Shade, Tungsten, White Balance Adjustment
Up to 9 fps at 24.6 MP for Unlimited Frames (Raw) / Unlimited Frames (JPEG)
Up to 5 fps at 24.6 MP for Unlimited Frames (Raw) / Unlimited Frames (JPEG)
Up to 2 fps at 24.6 MP for Unlimited Frames (Raw) / Unlimited Frames (JPEG)
Up to 25 fps at 24.6 MP for Unlimited Frames (Raw) / Unlimited Frames (JPEG)
||H.264/MOV 4:2:2 10-Bit
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 24.00p/25p/29.97p [400 Mb/s]
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p [400 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p [200 Mb/s]
H.264/MOV 4:2:0 8-Bit
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 50p/59.94p [150 Mb/s]
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 50p/59.94p [150 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 100p/119.88p/180p [20 Mb/s]
H.264/MP4 4:2:0 8-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p [100 to 150 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p/180p [20 to 150 Mb/s]
|External Recording Modes
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/120p/180p
||Built-In Microphone (Stereo)
External Microphone Input (Stereo)
|Audio File Format
||AAC, Linear PCM
||Auto and Manual Focus
||Continuous-Servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-Servo AF (S)
||Contrast Detection: 225
|Viewfinder Eye Point
||-4 to +2
||Fixed Touchscreen LCD
|Maximum Sync Speed
||-2 to +2 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
|Dedicated Flash System
|External Flash Connection
|Media/Memory Card Slot
||Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)
||USB Type-C (USB 3.1), HDMI A (Full Size), 3.5mm Headphone, 3.5mm Microphone
||14 to 104°F / -10 to 40°C
||1 x BP-SCL4 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1860 mAh (Approx. 510 Shots)
|Dimensions (W x H x D)
||5.7 x 4.2 x 3.3" / 146 x 107 x 83 mm
||2 lb / 931 g (Body with Battery and Memory)
Leica SL2-S Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
Leica BP-SCL4 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (8.4V, 1860mAh)
Leica BC-SCL4 Battery Charger
Leica SL Camera Cover
Leica S Camera Strap for Leica S Medium Format DSLR
Limited 2-Year Warranty