With the Leica M10 Monochrom, the difference is black and white. This specialized digital rangefinder camera has been configured with a unique 40MP full-frame monochrome CMOS sensor, which is used for the sole purpose of recording vivid and rich black and white still photographs. Versus a standard CMOS sensor, this specialized monochrome sensor sees the removal of the color filter array to enable recording of just luminance values in order to achieve greater visual depth and clarity, along with improved sensitivity to ISO 100,000 and reduced noise levels to suit working in difficult lighting. The sensor's design also sees the omission of an optical low-pass filter, which helps to produce sharper, higher resolution imagery.
Sharing design traits with other M10-series cameras, the M10 Monochrom features a slim body profile reminiscent of M film cameras, and a larger 0.73x-magnification optical viewfinder allows for greater composition and focusing accuracy. The body design also incorporates a dedicated ISO dial for quick adjustment, even when the camera is turned off, and the rear 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD features a Gorilla Glass cover to guard against scratching and light impacts. Also contributing to durability, the top and bottom plates are constructed from brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy to realize a robust physical construction for long-lasting use. Additionally, the M10 Monochrom also features an integrated Wi-Fi module for wireless sharing and remote camera control from a linked mobile device via the Leica FOTOS app.
Distinguishing itself from most, the M10 Monochrom is the third-generation model of the innovative series of black & white-only digital rangefinder cameras. Based on the M10-P, the M10 Monochrom takes the coveted design elements of this camera system and adds a 40MP monochrome sensor for solely recording black and white photographs. Beyond the distinct imaging characteristics and unique image quality, the M10 Monochrom also features a monochromatic exterior design, with white and gray engravings on the body and blacked-out shutter and lens release buttons.
40MP Black & White CMOS Sensor and Maestro II Processor
A redeveloped full-frame, monochrome 40.89MP CMOS sensor pairs with the Maestro II image processor to deliver a wide dynamic range with notable tonal rendering, as well as enhanced sensitivity to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. The sensor's design also omits an optical low-pass filter in order to achieve greater sharpness and resolution. Additionally, differentiating itself from typical sensor designs, the Monochrom sensor omits a color filter array (CFA), which offers the ability to solely record monochromatic imagery using only luminance values for enhanced clarity, depth, and resolution. By removing the CFA, this camera also achieves a higher sensitivity range of ISO 160-100000 than color-enabled M10 cameras, along with reduced noise to suit working in difficult lighting conditions.
Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
The optical viewfinder is a large, bright-line 0.73x-magnification rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation and bright-line frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 6.6'. On the front of the camera, a viewfinder frame selector can also be used to manually change the apparent image field to help visualize the scene with varying focal lengths; options are available in 35mm/135mm, 28mm/90mm, and 50mm/75mm focal length pairs.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 50.6mm (mechanical metering basis 69.31mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.73x).
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- Slim body profile is reminiscent of Leica's film cameras for easier handling and manipulation
- Integrated ISO dial is featured on the top plate to permit simple and direct adjustment of sensitivity values, even when the camera is turned off.
- The rear of the camera features just three buttons—live view, playback, and menu—for more simplified and intuitive navigation of the camera's control-set.
- A programmable Favorites menu can be used, which allows you to define your most oft-used settings and select them for easy, one-touch access.
- 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive, bright, and large means for image playback as well as live view shooting.
- Rear LCD monitor has a Corning Gorilla Glass cover to protect it against scratching and impacts.
- Top and bottom plates are machined from solid blocks of brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy for a truly durable, hard-wearing physical construction.
- Rubber seals are used to prevent the entrance of light rain and dust to enable working in inclement conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi permits sharing imagery directly to a linked smartphone and also enables remote control over the M10 Monochrom to adjust select shooting parameters or to release the shutter via the Leica FOTOS app.
Other Camera Features
- Integrated 2GB buffer to for recording 4.5 fps bursts of up to 10 consecutive frames.
- Images can be recorded in either the DNG or JPEG file format.
- A top hot shoe permits working with an external flash and the top sync speed is 1/180 sec.
- When working in live view, focus peaking is available to highlight edges of contrast for easier, more precise manual focus adjustment.
- Designed to accept all M-mount lenses, Leica R-mount lenses are also compatible through the use of an optional R to M adapter.
- Compatible with the optional Visoflex accessory electronic viewfinder for manually focusing adapted lenses.
- Language support: German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Korean.